2020 OAEM Awards
Applicants must be registered in any of the following post-secondary educational programs during the current academic year (September 2019 – August 2020):
- Undergraduate degree in emergency management at a university/college;
- Graduate studies in emergency management at a university;
- Graduate certificate or diploma in emergency management at a university/college;
- Professional certificate/continuing education program in emergency management at a university/college;
- Graduate or undergraduate program where a significant amount of the curriculum or research relates to emergency management.
VALUE OF AWARDS
Awards are available in the following categories:
- The Brian Hook Memorial Award which honours the memory of Major Brian Hook (CD) through making an award to a student who has made significant contributions to the field of Emergency Management while maintaining a high level of academic excellence. ($1,500)
- A. Normand Academic Award – Students will submit a 1,200 – 1,500 word essay on any topic relating to emergency management and business continuity. ($1,000)
- Marg Verbeek President’s Award – This award is named after Marg Verbeek, the first President and one of the founding members of OAEM. Marg was also the President of International Association of Emergency Managers in 2005-06. She studied at Ryerson University and Royal Roads University and has more than 30 years of emergency management experience. Marg is the recipient of the Canadian award for Emergency Management and has been inducted into the International Women in Homeland Security & Emergency Management Hall of Fame. As an association, the Board of Directors would like to highlight professionals who have gone back to school to either upgrade their level of academic learning or change professions, as professionals bring with them skills and experiences that can be of great assistance within the emergency management field. Furthermore, as a volunteer association, we wanted to highlight the contributions that these professionals have made to emergency management.
- Have completed at least one semester in the program if enrolled on a full-time basis; or two courses within the program if enrolled on a part-time basis.
- Satisfy the requirements of this application, including minimum academic status, letter of recommendation and evidence of relevant activities (i.e. community involvement, work history, etc.).
- Have an Ontario address of residence or attend an educational institution in Ontario.
- Students who wish to be considered for awards must complete the entire form and provide the appropriate information.
- Professional students must satisfy requirements from requirement #1, including GPA and list of contributions that are associated with the Emergency Management/Business Continuity field. (for President’s Award only)
- ALL APPLICANTS must complete the personal information page and sign the last page of this application and submit the application via email attachment to email@example.com.
Please be aware that while OAEM encourages all applicants to become members of the association, membership of OAEM is not mandatory in order to receive an award.
Your completed application form must be received by the Ontario Association of Emergency Managers no later than Monday August 31, 2020 at 11:59pm. Please submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org the deadline (Microsoft Word or PDF documents only). Paper applications will not be accepted and all documentation must be supplied electronically to the above email address.
Please be aware all applications are reviewed by OAEM’s Board of Directors.
AWARDS NOTIFICATION AND PRESENTATION:
Award recipients will be notified by email no later than Sunday September 20, 2020. Please be aware we do not reply to unsuccessful applicants to inform them of the final decision.
Awards will be presented at the OAEM Annual General Meeting (AGM) taking place October 8, 2020. A cheque and certificate will be issued at that time.