OAEM 2022 Awards and Scholarships
Congratulations to OAEM's 2022 Award Recipients!
OAEM Awards are open to all public, private and non-governmental individuals and organizations in Ontario.
2022 President's Award: DAVE COLVIN
A leader dedicated to emergency management and is committed to inclusivity, collaboration, and excellence in public safety.
Leadership Award: No Applicant
An excellent emergency management role model demonstrating initiative, positive change, growth, and commitment.
Community Partnership Award: No Applicant
Outstanding commitment to fostering multi-stakeholder collaboration and partnership growth in emergency management.
Brian Hook Memorial Scholarship: Sarah Cowan
The Brian Hook Memorial Scholarship honours the memory of Major Brian Hook (CD) who was a past president of OAEM. This award is given to a student who has made significant contributions to the field of Emergency Management while maintaining a high level of academic excellence. ($1,500)
A. Normand Academic Scholarship: Michael Storozuk
The A. Normand Academic Scholarship is named after Alain Normand, an author, lecturer, teacher and expert in Emergency Management, and a past OAEM President. For this award students will submit a 1,200 – 1,500 word essay on any topic relating to emergency management and business continuity. ($1,000)
Marg Verbeek President's Scholarship: Jamie Hvidsten
The Marg Verbeek President‘s Scholarship is named after Marg Verbeek, the first President and one of the founding members of OAEM. This award highlights a professional who has gone back to school to either upgrade their level of academic learning or change professions to emergency management and will be based on their grade point average (GPA) and contributions they have made to the field. ($500).
Click here for the award and scholarship application. The application period is September 1, 2022 to October 1, 2022. Please note that OAEM membership not mandatory in order to receive a scholarship.
Paper applications will not be accepted, and all documentation must be supplied electronically.
For more information, please contact us.
Applicants must be registered in any of the following post-secondary educational programs during the current academic year:
Undergraduate degree in emergency management at a university/college.
Graduate studies in emergency management at a university.
Graduate certificate or diploma in emergency management at a university/college.
Professional certificate/continuing education program in emergency management at a university/college.
All applicants must complete the personal information page and sign the last page of this application and submit the application as indicated in the application.
1. Have completed at least one semester in the program if enrolled on a full-time basis; or two courses within the program if enrolled on a part-time basis.
2. Satisfy the requirements of this application, including minimum academic status, letter of recommendation and evidence of relevant activities (e.g., community involvement, work history, etc.).
3. Have an Ontario address of residence or attend an educational institution in Ontario.
4. Students who wish to be considered for awards must complete the entire form and provide the appropriate information.
5. Professional students must satisfy requirements from requirement #1, including GPA and list of contributions that are associated with the Emergency Management/Business Continuity field (for President‘s Award only).
6. ALL APPLICANTS must complete the personal information page and sign the last page of this application and submit the application via email as outlined in the application.